What does excess insurance cover?

Our Vehicle Hire Excess Insurance provides reimbursement cover against the excess payable during your hire agreement. It will also cover any loss or damage to the vehicle which is not covered by Flock such as wheels, tyres, glass, under body, roof, keys, locks, mis-fuelling, lock outs and battery failure. The Vehicle Hire Excess Insurance also covers mobile phone call charges, curtailment, carjacking, and road-rage incidents.

Who can purchase this insurance?

Anyone who holds a valid United Kingdom, European Union or EEA or International driving licence or permit for the hired vehicle is able to purchase this insurance. This must be valid in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Individuals between the ages of 25 and 74 years old.

What does the insurance not cover?

The cover will not pay any claim:

  • If you do not meet the eligibility requirements for this policy.

  • For any costs that can be recovered from the hire company or any other person or company.

  • Which results from a direct breach of the terms and conditions of your hire agreement.

  • Which is for third party death, injury or property.

  • For any excess above the standard excess shown on your hire agreement.

  • Solely for the loss or theft of, or damage to, the contents of a hired vehicle.

  • For accessories which are fitted to or supplied with the hired vehicle, such as sound systems, radios, tape, CD or MP3 players, ski racks, car seats, GPS and satellite navigation equipment and telecommunications equipment.

  • For mechanical repairs or the cost of any replacement parts which are necessary as a result of misfuelling.

  • For any costs relating to a missed departure as a result of misfuelling.

  • Resulting from wear and tear or mechanical breakdown.

  • Resulting from your misuse of alcohol or drugs (including the misuse of prescription drugs).

  • Resulting from a fraudulent, dishonest, illegal activities or a criminal act committed by you.

  • If the hired vehicle was being driven by a person that is not named on your hire agreement.

  • That occurs while the hired vehicle is not on a public road, for example while on a safari or an adventure trail.

  • For any loss or damage resulting from a deliberate and intentional act by you.

  • For Additional Travel Expenses unless otherwise stated in the policy wording.

How do I make a claim on the excess insurance?

In order to make the claim procedure as seamless as possible, our claim handlers, Orchard Administration have set up an online submission process. 

To submit a claim please go to claim.orchard-administration.co.uk where you will need your certificate number and claim scheme code, both of which are shown on the certificate of insurance. If you are unable to use the online claims facility, then please call Orchard Administration on +44 (0)333 3230 095. 

Kindly note, Orchard claim handlers will require you to upload various documents to support your claim, please see below the list of documentation that the Orchard Administration claims handlers would require in the event of a claim: 

  • Certificate of Insurance for your excess reimbursement policy

  • A copy of your Rental Agreement confirming the hire details and excess liability

  • A copy of the local police report, if required by law in the country where the loss occurs

  • Your copy of the Hire Company accident damage report and a photographic picture of the damage caused

  • Invoices / Receipts / other documents confirming the amount you have paid in respect of the damage to the Hired Vehicle for which you are seeking reimbursement

  • A final repair invoice from the repairing garage which details the breakdown of parts and labour

  • Copy of your credit/debit card statement showing payment of the damages which you are seeking reimbursement 

  • Copy of the driving licence of the person named on the Hire Agreement as Lead Driver and also the person who was in control of the vehicle at the time of the incident

  • Your bank details: a. UK Bank – Sort Code and Account Number or b. Bank based outside the UK – IBAN and BIC

Can I cancel the policy?

You can cancel your policy before the policy start date, by contacting Riverside Underwriting Limited, by calling +44 (0)333 323 0090m, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, London time, or by emailing [email protected]

Should you cancel the car rental to which the policy is associated, the policy will automatically be cancelled. In both situations, you shall receive a full refund. You can cancel your policy at any other time but there will be no refund.

Who is the insurer?

This insurance is underwritten by Lloyd’s Syndicate 4444 which is managed by Canopius Managing Agents Limited. Registered Office: Canopius Managing Agents Limited, Gallery 9, One Lime Street, London, EC3M 7HA. Registered in England no. 01514453. Canopius Managing Agents Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Firm Reference: 204847.

How is this product regulated?

This insurance is placed by our insurance partner Riverside Underwriting Limited (Third Floor, Riverside House, 40-46 High Street, Maidstone, Kent, ME14 1JH, United Kingdom) who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (firm reference 466942). InMotion Ventures 2 Limited, trading as the THE OUT are an appointed representative of Riverside Underwriting (firm reference 916111). Neither Riverside Underwriting nor The Out provide advice but will answer any questions on the products sold. The Out and Riverside Underwriting earn commission payable by the Insurer.

Where can I get further information?

Please email [email protected]  with your question. Alternatively, assistance is available by calling +44 (0)333 323 0090, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, London time. Riverside Underwriting will answer your query within a maximum of two working days.

What do I do if I have a complaint?

The complaints procedure is set out in the policy document. We are committed to dealing with all complaints quickly and fairly.

How do I get my policy documents in hard form?

Please email [email protected] if you would like to receive the insurance product information document and policy wording by post.

Did this answer your question?